AEN Additional Educational Needs

AR Annual review

ARMS Additionally Resourced Mainstream School

BESD Behaviour Emotional & Social Difficulties

BSS Behaviour Support Service

CAF Common Assessment Framework

CAMHS Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service

CDT Child Development Team

COP Code of Practice

CYP / C&YP Children and Young People

DSG Dedicated School Grant

EBD Emotional And Behavioural Difficulties

EHE Elective Home Education

EMTAS Ethnic Minority & Travellers Advisory Support

EOTAS Education Otherwise Than at School

EP Educational Psychologist

EPS Educational Psychology Service

EWO Education Welfare Officer

FE Further Education

FIS Family Information Service

FISO Family Information Service Online

FIT Family Intervention Team

GP General Practitioner (Family Doctor)

HE Higher Education

HI Hearing Impaired

IEP Individual Education Plan

LA Local Authority

LDA Learning Difficulty Assessment

LEA Local Education Authority

LLDD Learner with Learning Difficulty and/or Disability

LSS Learning Support Service

LST Learning Support Teacher

MLD Moderate Learning Difficulties

NHS National Health Service

OT Occupational Therapy

PALS Patient Advice and Liaison Service

PCT Primary Care Trust

PD Physically Disabled

PEP Personal Education Plan

PMLD Profound and Multiple Learning Difficulties

PPS Parent Partnership Service

PRU Pupil Referral Unit

PSP Pastoral Support Programme

SA School Action

SA+ School Action Plus

SALT Speech and Language Therapist

SARS Statutory Assessment and Review Service

SEN Special Educational Needs

SENA Special Educationa Needs Assistant

SENCO Special Educational Needs Coordinator

SEND Special Educationa Needs and Disabilities

SENIT Special Educational Needs Improvement Team (formerly SENSS)

SLD Severe Learning Difficulties

SPLD Specific Learning Difficulties

TAF Team Around the Family

VI Visually Impaired

YOT Youth Offending Team

Advice – The reports provided by professionals and parents which have to be considered for the statutory

Academies - Academies are publicly-funded independent schools, they are Not maintained by the local authority
Have the ability to set their own pay and conditions for staff Have freedoms around the delivery of the curriculum;
and the ability to change the lengths of terms and school days Some academies, generally those set up to replace
underperforming schools, will have a sponsor.Sponsors come from a wide range of backgrounds including successful
schools,businesses, universities, charities and faith bodies. Sponsors are held accountable for the improving the
performance of their schools.

Academies receive the same level of per-pupil funding as they would receive from the local authority
as a maintained school, plus additions to cover the services that are no longer provided for them by
the local authority. Academies have greater freedom over how they use their budgets. Academies
receive their funding directly from the Education Funding Agency (EFA) rather than from local authorities.

The principles of governance are the same in academies as in maintained schools, but the
governing body has greater autonomy. Academies are required to have at least two parent governors.

Academies are required to follow the law and guidance on admissions, special educational needs and
exclusions as if they were maintained schools.

Academies have to ensure that the school will be at the heart of its community, collaborating and
sharing facilities and expertise with other schools and the wider community.

Schools which already select some or all of their pupils will be able to continue to do so if they
become academies, but schools becoming academies cannot decide to become newly
selective schools.

Annual Review – a meeting to discuss the child’s progress and to ser new targets

Behaviour Support Service – aims to help to change the behaviour of pupils experiencing emotional
and behavioural difficulties within their schools and to enable them to derive maximum benefit from
the social and academic opportunities they have. 

Code of Practice – a guide to schools and local education authorities on how to help children with
special educational needs. Schools and LA’s must take not of the Code of Practice when they deal
with a child with special educational needs. You can obtain this from the Department for Children
Schools and Families – www.dcsf.gov.uk 

Early Years Action – if a child is having difficulties accessing the curriculum within an early years
setting then they may decide to put the child on Early Years Action and put an Individual Education Plan
together to help the child. 

Early Years Action Plus – if a child has been at Early Years action and they are still not making progress
then the setting may then go to Early Years Action Plus which means they involve other professionals to look at
putting a plan together to help the child. 

Home / Hospital Tuition – this service is provided to enable children to continue with their education when they are not at school. 

Individual Education Plan – a plan which sets targets for your child to achieve and a date for a review to see
what progress he or she has made. 

Language Unit – for children with speech and language difficulties

Learning Difficulty - a child learning difficulties if he or she finds it much harder to learn
than most children of their age.

Learning Support Service – provides additional support for children with special educational
needs through teams of specialist liaison teachers.

Mainstream School – an ordinary school

Mainstream Support Base – a support centre or class within a mainstream school which offers support to
children with special educational
needs. The base usually has between 10 and 12 pupils. 

Maintained School – a state school

Non-maintained Special School –
a non-profit making special school which charges fees. Most
non-maintained special schools are run by charities or charitable trusts. 

Note in Lieu – a note in which the LA will explain
why it has decided not to make a Statement following a statutory assessment. It
also outlines the child’s special educational needs, so that the parents and
the school can make sure that they are met.

Pastoral Support Programme – a school based process to support
pupils who are at risk of permanent exclusion.

Proposed Statement – this is the first draft of the
Statement which is sent to parents to check before the Statement is finalised.
It leaves out the part naming the school the child should do to. 

School Action – this is the same as Early Years
Action but for children in Primary and Secondary Schools

School Action Plus – this is the same as Early Years
Action Plus but for children in Primary and Secondary Schools. 

Special Educational Needs (SEN) – a child has special
educational needs if he or she has learning difficulties that need special
educational provision.

Special Educational Provision – the additional help given to
children with SEN. 

Special Educational Needs and
Disability Tribunal –
an independent body that hears appeals against decision made by LA’s

Special School – a school which offers specialist
teaching to children with SEN

Statement of Special Educational Needs – a legally binding document which
sets out in details a child’s special educational needs and all the extra help
he or she should get.